Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Ambassador Robin Sanders' Recent Visit to Jos


I am here discussing with the students
Every trip in any part of Nigeria, gives me a great opportunity to engage with a cross section of Nigerians at all levels. My recent visit to Jos on April 20, 2010 was insightful as I had the opportunity to meet with stakeholders in the Jos Community. I held meetings with the Catholic Archbishop of Jos, His Grace Most Reverend (Dr.) Ignatius Ayau Kaigama, Civil Society, Regional Peace Councils and also visited the Laranto Government Secondary School and the Hillcrest American Missionary School.

My interaction with the students of Government School Laranto, who were within the ages of 14-18 years was very fascinating and lasted for an hour and a half. My Interactive session with the students focused on topics ranging from peace and reconciliation, and we also talked about what they believed caused the violence in Jos and as well as their aspiration for the future. The main thrust of my visit was to emphasize USG efforts and assistance in promoting dialogue, reconciliation and peace, and providing humanitarian assistance ito affected areas in Jos.

The USG will continue to partner with the Government of Nigeria, traditional rulers, Ccmmunity leaders and all stakeholders with the goal of addressing th underlying issues that spark the reoccuring violence in the greater Jos area.